WHY DES MOINES
Iowa is often stereotyped as nothing more than a massive cornfield. However, Iowa has more to offer than just corn, and Des Moines, in particular, is a strategic location for a church plant for a number of reasons:
- According to recent Census Bureau data, Des Moines is the fastest-growing city in the Midwest and the fourth fastest-growing city in the U.S.
- Des Moines has become a popular destination for young professionals, families, and millennials.
- Des Moines is home to the world’s third largest concentration of insurance companies, and its healthcare industry has also grown significantly in recent years.
- Forbes.com consistently ranks Des Moines as one of the nation’s “best places for business and careers.”
- According to U.S. News & World Report, Des Moines has been recently ranked as one of the best places to live in the U.S.
To our church-planting team, these statistics are more than just signs that Des Moines is thriving; they are also reminders that thousands of people are moving to the city each year who need to hear about Jesus. While we’re grateful for and seek to partner with gospel-centered churches already in Des Moines, the reality is that even those pastors recognize the need for a stronger and more robust gospel presence in the metro area. The need is great in Des Moines, and Redemption Hill Church wants to do its part to expand the kingdom of God by declaring God’s truth to current and future residents of the city.
Shawn was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and raised in Dubuque. In his early twenties, he moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota. After 15 years Shawn sensed God’s calling to move back to Iowa to plant a church in Des Moines, and this has been affirmed by his local and regional eldership. His education and experience include:
- Bachelor of Science – University of Northwestern – St. Paul
- Master of Divinity – Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Master of Theology – Saint John’s University
- An ordained elder through Sovereign Grace
- A pastor on staff at Sovereign Grace Church in Burnsville, MN for over 4 years
Shawn enjoys reading, working out, a good cup of coffee, and watching Chicago Cubs baseball. He has been married to Charice for over 11 years and has two daughters, Chloe and Isabelle. Within the context of the local church, Shawn is passionate about the preaching of God’s Word, discipleship, and seeing the gospel go forth redeeming and renewing individuals so that people and communities can flourish to the glory of God.